Friday, August 25, 2006

Hurray! She's finished!!!

Pattern: Isabeau tote Started: June 22nd 2006 Finished: August 24th 2006 Yarn: Rowan all seasons cotton in Misty, a little over 4 balls Lining Fabric: white cotton was used as an interface and pink etsuko furaya fabric from reprodepot was used for the actual lining. Modifications: sewed plastic mesh onto the bottom of the bag and inside the front and back panels. I'm really happy with how this turned out. The pattern was great and I learned a lot of new stuff from doing it...how to crochet a seam, making buttonholes, sewing a lining, etc. The reason it took so long was that sewing the interface, plastic, and lining into the bag sucked up a lot of time. Here's a closeup of the lining (sorry its a little blurry):

And since it was really hard to get a decent picture of the inside, here's a pic of the fabric before it was sewn:

I'm particularly proud of the lining since doing it almost killed me. My sewing experience is limited to what I learned in girl scouts and 8th grade Home Ec (during which I made a stuffed mallard...the beak fell off one week later) so I really had no idea of how to cut the fabric to the correct proportions or what stitch would be best. I just used the bag as a template (as the pattern said to do) and backstitched it together. Its not perfect in the inside but its good enough for me!!

And here's a little close up of the button. I got this at Tender Buttons in downtown Chicago....I have never seen so many buttons in one place in my life. They have an amazing selection, its a good place to check out.

So now I'm moving on to the clapotis (which it seems like everyone but me has made)....it's a bit daunting but I'm excited to get started since the lion and lamb yarn is so soft and pretty :) However I need to do some major apartment cleaning before I do anything else since we're having a little dinner party here tomorrow, so there probably will be no casting on until Sunday.

7 comments:

sylv said...

You've done such a fantastic job on it ! I love everything, the color, the stitch definition, the lining... and the button !!

Glaistig said...

Your Isabeau is gorgeous!! Congratulations on making such an exquisite bag :)

SouthernCanadian said...

That's way cute, Brooke - love it!

Pam said...

I followed your link from Chez Plum, your Isabeau bag is awesome, great job, love the fabric you picked out for the lining, really a great looking bag!!

kristin said...

that's beautiful! You've totally inspired me. Where did you get the lining?

brooklyn said...

Awww thanks everyone, glad you liked it!!! To answer your question Kristin, I got the fabric from www.reprodepot.com. They have a great selection on their site...the one I used is under the "japanese imports and asian themes" section.

sandra said...

Great bag! Very impressive!